Monday 9 April 2012

...Culture (Sun)day


Tyneside Challenge 
Armstrong Whitworth Car, 1911
A Soldier's Life
WW2

Newcastle Story
A Soldier's Life

Newcastle Story
WW2

A Soldier's Life
Newcastle Story
60s

Newcastle Story
60s
"You're not going out looking like this"

Newcastle Story
60s
Newcastle Story
70s

Newcastle Story
90s
So it's Easter Sunday and I'm not spending it home, as is tradition, for the last 23 years. Instead of enjoying some fine slow-roasted lamp, I decided to spend the day at the Discovery Museum. It is well-known to the people close to me, that I'm not the kind of person who hangs out in museums; it's not that I avoid them, I just make different choices. I usually prefer to spend my time watching movies, new series, shopping, having coffee with friends, etc  and I opt for the web-knowledge plan. For some people that might be shallow, but luckily for me, I don't care!
Anyway, when in the mood and the circumstances allow it, I pay some tribute to these cultural temples. Since I had some time in my hands today I decided to visit this particular museum because it is free and it had a variety of different and interesting exhibitions. 
Newcastle Story and A Soldier's Life particularly intrigued me, I guess because they were extremely well photographed and so I could share it with you guys! I chose to display them above in the form of a story so that it is easier on the eye, while in reality they are from different exhibitions.
 A Soldier's Life is an exhibition about World War 2 and I laid the pics in a "preparation for the war & aftermath" kind of manner. The images that I have used from Newcastle Story are mostly from the different chronological eras; they were divided according to elements-benchmarks of each decade. Especially the 60s, 70s and 90s are wonderfully depicted, bringing back memories and reminding me how much the past still affects us. Take the 60s for instance; aren't the spring trends colours and patterns in 2012 similar to the ones back then? Designers always look back for inspiration, and so can we. My personal favourites were the 90s-since I grew up in that decade: Super Nintendo, Game Boy, the first Playstation, the first South Park episodes, Backstreet Boys, rollerblades, overalls, Baywatch, slap bracelets.. good stuff!
Turns out this visit was way more rewarding than I originally thought. These exhibitions were the product of some lengthy quality work and that came right through- which makes it easier to appreciate and enjoy. I might even start visiting museums more.. unless there is a new episode of Whitney...or New Girl, or Breaking Bad..eeeem..


No comments:

Post a Comment